Saturday, February 16, 2002
Orthopaedic Team Approach to Family Violence
Debra A. Zellmer, MD, chair of the AAOS Task Force on Family Violence,
suggests the following "model" team approach to family violence:
- Develop an office/clinic response plan, which includes
cooperation between physicians,
physician assistants, nurses, medical assistants, etc.
- Equip offices/clinics with literature from local family violence resources, camera, body maps, consent forms.
- Designate a member of the care team as a resource person available
to spend time with the patient once an identification has been made.
- Send office/clinic staff to training sessions on family violence.
- Familiarize yourself with local family violence resources and the national hotline
- Know your state reporting requirements.
- Work with existing resources in local hospital Emergency Department and the community.
Last modified 16/February/2002