April 2003 Bulletin
The Diversity Committee reports to the Board of Directors, and has the following charges:
- Develop strategies and action plans designed to address and overcome barriers that women and minorities face in obtaining orthopaedic residency positions.
- Develop mentoring programs that will encourage women and minority medical students to choose orthopaedics as a career path.
- Identify model programs that address specific female and minority issues in medical education and orthopaedic practice through administration and management of a Diversity Awards Program.
- Act as a resource for the development and presentation of information that will enhance the knowledge, understanding and awareness of orthopaedists on issues related to minorities and women.
- Educate residents, medical students and attendings in culturally competent care.
For more information about the Academys diversity initiative, visit: http://www5.aaos.org/diversity.