August 1999 Bulletin
BONES tells hot marketing ideas from T-shirts to free lectures
Members of BONES, the national organization of orthopaedic
practice administrators, shared their successful marketing ideas
at their annual meeting. Here's a few ideas:
- "After surgery, we give the patient a T-shirt with our
- "We have an athletic trainer on staff who provides a
variety of free clinics in the area. It's great PR. He goes to
health clubs, gymnastics clubs, swim clubs, tennis clubs, etc.
We get a large number of referrals due to this free service.
- "We send out a postcard for primary MD offices, physical
therapists, etc., with a direct telephone number to our office
(not our "back office" number) for referrals. It also
includes brief info about our practice and how patients can reach
- "We 're doing a 10-lecture series directed to seniors;
it's organized by the local hospital.
- "Our on-hold telephone tape system plays patient education
information. This works very well-people ask to be put back on
- "At least once a year, we send thank-you letter to our
- "Every month, our doctor has seminars for athletic trainers
throughout our area. These are held at no cost to the athletic
trainers. We have guest speakers ranging from physicians and strength
trainers to physical therapists. This generates referrals from
the speakers and the athletic trainers that attend.
- "At a company health fair we had a display and held a
"strongest man" and "strongest woman" contest
by measuring grip strength. It was the hit of the fair. Employees
popped in before leaving to see who was ahead."
- "We take ad space in the high school team schedules."